Sale of Marijuana Edibles in the Shape of Animals and Fruit are Banned in Colorado

shutterstock 124334167
shutterstock 124334167

A new ban on Colorado marijuana edibles has been put into effect in order to make them less enticing for children.

In an effort to keep infused products from being accidentally ingested by children, marijuana edibles can longer be shaped like fruit, animals, or people in Colorado.

Last year, additional warnings became a requirement on marijuana edible packaging in order to reduce accidental ingestion. This was largely motivated by the story of a college student that ate about six times the recommended THC dosage and fell over a balcony. The student did not survive.


Colorado lawmakers and marijuana industry leaders have tried to be proactive in addressing issues related to legalized marijuana, especially when it comes to keeping children out of harm.

“I think any industry should always go forward with protecting the children at any cost,” said Scott Durrah of Simply Pure according to CBS Denver.

Durrah says marijuana edible markers have had to make major changes to how they develop and market their products. Overall, he is pleased with how the industry is handling the changes.

“I look at how difficult it is for me as an owner, as a person that has an edible company to be able to try to get into these edibles that looked to be safe,” Durrah said. “So I think we do a great job in terms of packaging.”

Tim Cullen, CEO of Colorado Harvest Company, stressed the need to treat marijuana products in the home like any other potentially dangerous item.

“The same rules that apply to alcohol or prescription medication have to apply to marijuana,” Cullen said according to ABC News. “Realizing that you have an adult product in your house and making sure your children can’t get it is the ultimate line of defense.”

While there have been increases in reports of children ingesting marijuana, the occurrence of these incidents still remains low. Last year, a study found that children are still more likely to be poisoned by household items such as cleaning products.